5 Best Practices for Upgrading SugarCRM
Earlier this year, SugarCRM announced a new release schedule. This change was driven by a commitment to product quality. The more frequent releases make it more important than ever to stay ahead of product updates so you can be prepared for upgrades. Here are five tips from UpCurve Cloud and SugarCRM to help you stay ahead of the four-yearly releases as an On-Demand customer.
1. Follow Your Sugar Partner to Stay in the Loop
First off, to make sure you stay in the know, make sure you continue to get updates on each quarterly releases by doing the three following things:
- Subscribe to UpCurve Cloud’s SugarCRM newsletter -- our monthly newsletter always includes the latest releases from Sugar and recent SugarCRM news, including our Release RoundUp, a short video going through the new features of each new Sugar update.
- Follow the Releases page in the SugarCRM Community.
- Once you hear about a release, reach out to your Sugar partner. They get private access to view releases about three weeks prior to a release and can share some details with you.
2. Submit Upgrade Request with SugarCRM Support
Once a new release is out, get ready to submit an upgrade request with Sugar support or with your Sugar business partner (such as UpCurve Cloud). SugarCRM provides the following guidelines for your upgrade request:
- Indicate your preferred upgrade date and time
- Submit your request within 30 days after the release announcement
- Include whether or not you would like to upgrade a sandbox
Here’s an example of the message to include in your request:
“Per the recent announcement on the community of the Summer ‘18 release being available, I would like to upgrade my Sugar cloud instance, [INSERT URL], to that release on [INSERT DATE] after [INSERT TIME, TIME ZONE]. Please also upgrade our sandbox, [INSERT URL], immediately so we can begin testing in the release. Thanks!”
3. Perform All Testing Before Your Upgrade
We recommend you review the release notes for the new version to create a testing plan for your upgrade. You know your organization and its CRM usage better than anyone else--because of that, we recommend you test the following thoroughly:
- Integrations and connectors
- Advanced workflow and processes
- User experience flows and critical business processes
- Usage in each module
- Creating, saving and updating records in Sugar
4. Keep an Eye Out for that Upgrade Notification Email
Seven days prior to the upgrade, you’ll receive an email alerting you that your upgrade has been scheduled. It’s sent to sugar admins and any other configured emails (such as your Sugar partner).
P.S. If you need to update your configured email addresses, you can do that here.
5. Consider the Sandbox Auto Upgrade
You can submit a one-time support request to register your sandbox for auto upgrade. This provides you with immediate access to each Sugar release and ensures you have ample time to test Sugar prior to a production upgrade.
There are many important reasons to stay upgraded--to get access to Sugar support, to be on a version that receives bug fixes, and to continually invest in the CRM and treat it as an ongoing project. Hopefully--this post gives you some ideas of how to make it easier to stay upgraded. If you have any questions about upgrading, reach out to us here.