wMobile System Settings (Part 2)
In our last blog article, we reviewed the basics of wMobile System Settings. We specifically went over the most commonly changed settings in the “Common” and “Desktop” sections of the settings. In this article, we’ll review the options for wMobile Phone. Since not all customers use all the GoldMine or wMobile functionality, one of the most common reasons customers will want to edit the Phone settings is to remove options that are not used. Back to the “Keep it Simple” mantra!
wMobile System Settings can be accessed in the wMobile Manager Console.
If “Phone” is selected in the wMobile Explorer Pane, then only Phone system settings will be displayed when the System Settings button is selected.
Otherwise, when you open System settings from the “wMobile” top level in the wMobile Explorer pane, you’ll have all 3 sections of settings available: Common, Desktop, and Phone.
As noted previously, each item that can be configured, will have an explanation of the setting when it’s selected.
We’ll move on to a review of the most commonly changed Phone system settings.
- ShowActivitiesWithoutTimeNotification – When this setting is set to True, a user will get a prompt to view activities scheduled without a specific time on the Activity List instead. An example of the prompt is shown below with a link to ‘Today’s Activities List.’
- ShowNewActivityLink – This setting determines whether the calendar will show the “New Activity” link to create a new activity. See screenshot of this option highlighted in yellow below.
- ShowPreferencesLink – This setting determines whether the calendar will show a link to navigate to user preferences, specifically to the calendar settings. See screenshot of this option highlighted in yellow below.
- ShowAllActivities – This setting controls the defaults when looking at activities on a GoldMine contact record (Pending or History).
When the list of activities comes up, the list can default to All users or the logged in user. If ShowAllActivities is set to False, then the list of activities will default to the logged in user as highlighted in the example below. The user can manually change it to another user or All.
- EnableRecordTypes – If set to True, wMobile will use the primary field views applicable to each Record Type when displaying contact information. If set to False, the default fields will be displayed. (When wMobile was first developed, it did not support Record Types and some customers had custom XML scripts to show and edit primary contact field views. This value is now set to True on new installations, but customers that had wMobile installed years ago might still have this set to False. It was not automatically changed to True in case customers were still using XML scripts.)
- ShowLastHistoryActivity – A value of A can be entered for Appointments, C for Calls, O for Other Actions. If left blank (default), no activity will be displayed on the Contact record.
In this example, A was entered to show the most recent Appointment on the contact view as highlighted below.
- RelatedActions – For each of the settings below, if the Visible setting is set to True as highlighted in yellow below, the option will be shown on the Contact page. If it’s set to False, the option will not be displayed.
These settings pertain to the detail view on a contact, as highlighted in green, and control whether users will be able to create a new Contact, Pending activity, History activity, Detail, Group, Opportunity, Case etc. This also controls whether users will be able to Edit the contact information.
(Note: AddToLocalAddressBook -This setting applies only to Phone. There is a setting under Common|PDI that applies to both apps and would override this setting.)
If your company restricts access to editing, or doesn’t use Cases, Projects etc., then the administrator might want to remove some of these options from the contact page.
- RelatedViews - For each of the settings below, if the Visible setting is set to True, the option will be shown on the Contact page. If it’s set to False, the option will not be displayed.
These settings pertain to the viewing options on the contact page below highlighted in green.
- ShowSortOrder – If set to True, this option will be shown on the Opportunities page as pictured below.
- RelatedActions – For each setting below, if Visible is set to True, the option will be available for users to create new (History, Item, or Pending) on the Opportunity detail page.
These settings pertain to the Opportunity detail page as highlighted below.
- Related Views - For each setting below, if Visible is set to True, the option will be available for users to view on the Opportunity detail page.
- AllowOneClickLogin – This setting determines whether users will have the option to create a One-Click login for wMobile phone. The One-Click login creates a shortcut for the user that encrypts the GoldMine username and password. It’s a great time-saver and convenience, but some companies might have security policies that would not permit this. In this case, the option can be removed in these settings. There are now separate settings for Phone and Desktop.
- DefaultListPageSize – This controls the number of items that come up in lists such as when searching for contacts and viewing activities. The default is 10, but can be increased or decreased.
- LoginPasswordLabel – the default label on the login screen is ‘User’ as shown below, but can be changed.
- LoginUserNameLabel – the default label on the login screen is ‘Password’ as shown below, but can be changed.
When a setting(s) is changed, select Save to keep the change(s). Depending on the setting, you might be prompted to restart some of the wMobile components.
Click OK to proceed. When it’s done, the window will close, and you’ll see a Ready status in the lower left. You can make multiple changes and save when all are done.